“Where to eat” is an ongoing list series that will be updated frequently
$: Price per person, before alcohol, under $20
$$: Price per person, before alcohol, under $40
$$$: Price per person, before alcohol, under $60
- Beach Grass Cafe ($) One of my favorite breakfast spots in North County. Think 'pineapple upside-down' pancakes, among every kind of 'scramble' and Benedict you can imagine.
- Bluefire Grill ($$$) La Costa Resort & Spa's upscale restaurant serving everything from beef and lamb to vegetable risotto and...wait for it...a rip on traditional Canadian poutine.
- Claire's on Cedros ($) Wildly popular - and dog-friendly - breakfast haunt in Solana Beach.
- Cody's ($-$$) Super cute and perfectly-situated breakfast/lunch joint in the heart of La Jolla. Grab an al-fresco table for a fabulous view of the ocean
- Diversions Sport Lounge ($$) Great place to grab a cocktail and light snack in between meals or during the big game. I'm partial to the margaritas.
- George's California Modern ($$$) For legit dining in San Diego, this is one of the very best in terms of food quality and progression (staying abreast of current food trends).
- Ki's ($$-$$$) Don't let the slow and unknowledgeable service scare you off; Ki's makes both a KILLER roasted chicken and a macadamia nut-crusted mahi-mahi entree. Appetizers and desserts proved underwhelming.
- Pacifica del Mar ($$$) A bit tired and overpriced, PdM arguably boasts one of the best locations in Del Mar.
- Solace and the Moonlight Lounge ($$) My favorite non-Mexican restaurant in North County because of the perfectly-crafted cocktails, wonderful food (including the best grilled fish tacos on the planet), and a great outdoor patio overlooking town.
- The Med ($$-$$$) Arguably one of the most gorgeous dining spaces in San Diego proper; perfect for the 'lady who lunches.' ;)
- Tin Leaf ($-$$) A healthier approach to casual quick-service, complete with wine and beer. Although orders are placed at a counter, your meal is hand delivered to your table.
- Tom's Famous Family Restaurant ($) Delicious, traditional grilled cheese sandwiches and the best ranch dressing I've ever had the pleasure of tasting (random tidbit, I know, but this stuff is *so good* that I ordered a pint to take home).
Cuisine: Bakeries, coffee, sweet shops
- V.G. Donut & Bakery ($) Trust me, you will not find a better apple fritter on the planet.
- Yogurt Shack ($) What a welcome addition to the otherwise fro-yo desolate territory which surrounds the La Costa Resort & Spa! Great selection of flavors and more toppings and mix-ins than one would ever know what to do with.
- El Nopalito Market & Restaurant ($) Tortillas, chips, salsa, and guacamole are a *must purchase* from the retail market. If it's tacos you're craving, head to the restaurant. Their shredded beef/hard shell cannot be beat!
- Haggos Organic Taco ($) Tacos made with extra TLC (in the form of healthier, wholesome organic ingredients)
- Juanita's Taco Shop ($) My family's long-standing, quick-casual Mexican/taco shop. I recommend a combo plate with a cheese enchilada, beef taco, rice and beans.
- Kotija Jr. Taco Shop ($) Another stiff competitor in the North County taco-shop game.
- Rudy's Taco Shop ($) Another stiff competitor in the North County taco-shop game.
- Argyle Steakhouse ($$$) From the lovely atmosphere and gorgeous panoramic views, to the freshly-baked popovers and "one free rub/sauce/crust" included with your protein, the Argyle is an all-around winner!