“Where to eat” is an ongoing list series that will be updated frequently
$: Price per person, before alcohol, under $20
$$: Price per person, before alcohol, under $40
$$$: Price per person, before alcohol, under $60
- Burger Lounge ($) This isn’t your run-of-the-mill fast food burger joint, folks. Not when they’re making theirs with grass-fed beef. Or organic chicken. Or albacore tuna. If you’re looking for a $0.99 value menu, this is not the place.
- Lemonade ($) A fast-casual cafeteria that focuses on fresh Southern California comfort foods (think bountiful veggies, grains, and hearty mains)…plus a variety of fresh-squeezed, fruit-infused lemonades (ahem, guava!). And don’t miss the sinful house-made desserts!
Cuisine: Bakeries, coffee, sweet shops
- Groundwork Coffee ($) Look beyond the stereotypical artisanal coffee house ‘hipster intimidation’ and just do what I tell you: Order the Vietnamese Iced Coffee. It will change your life.
- Coast at Shutters on the Beach ($$-$$$) Located a mere beach chair’s length away from the sand, Coast serves California cuisine in a lovely, casually sophisticated space. My only gripes were the pre-packaged breadsticks instead of fresh bread and butter (upon seating), and slow/aloof service. For dessert, indulge in a slice of one of Susie Cakes‘ finest.
- FIG ($-$$) Revel in seasonal, local California-centric cuisine in The Fairmont Miramar Hotel’s poolside restaurant. For a healthy breakfast/brunch entree, I recommend the ‘Frittata Verde’ with a double-side of the tomatillo-avocado salsa. And a table al-fresco.
- Gjelina ($-$$) While this may be one of the most famous restaurants in LA, I didn’t want that to prevent or intimidate me from going last weekend while in Venice. So, in order to avoid a hellish wait, Shelley and I arrived at 3pm and were seated immediately. Save for Italy, I never thought I’d eat better pizza outside of NYC. That was until I had Gjelina’s “Pomodoro Crudo.” Best. Pizza. Ever.
- Hostaria del Piccolo ($$) Sexy and dependable Italian with indoor/outdoor space and a killer cocktail list.
- Marix Tex Mex Playa ($) "Meh" Tex-Mex
- Tacos Por Favor ($) "Hole in the wall" spot that offers a lengthy menu of Mexican favorites, including jamoncillo candies and dessert.
- Moonshadows Malibu ($$-$$$) Remember when that anti-Semitic fcuk, Mel Gibson, got arrested at that restaurant/bar in Malibu? This is the place. And it’s a solid choice if you’re looking for an amazing view, a strong drink, or a delicious tuna tartare with avocado.